14
January
2013

Indoor allergies: Everything you always wanted to know

Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatments

Millions of people suffer from indoor allergies. This affliction can be very annoying and painful if it is not treated the way it should be. From the causes to the ways to prevent them, here is a complete review of what you need to know about indoor allergies.
Causes
Many indoor allergy symptoms are causes by:
  • Dust mites
  • Pets
  • Mold
  • Spores
Indoor allergies can also be caused by substances that come from work places, such as:
  • Chemicals
  • Wood dust
  • Latex
One main thing that decides if you will have allergies is your genetics. If one parent has an allergy, the child will have a 30% chance of developing an allergy. If both parents have allergies, the child will have a 70% chance.
Symptoms
Various symptoms exist for indoor allergies, and each kind of allergy can cause different symptoms. Most of the time, the symptoms include:
  • Coughing
  • Scratchy throat
  • Nasal congestion
  • Wheezing
  • Tightness in the chest
  • Swelling in the throat
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Inflammation of the airways
It is important to recognize that many of these symptoms are also considered signs of asthma.
Treatment
The first thing you have to do is reduce the amount of allergens in your home. Taking care of your home helps to avoid indoor allergies symptoms. For example if you’re allergic to dust mites, you could think about removing the carpets. Cleaning your house regularly is also very important in eliminating allergens. For dust mites, wash your bed linens in hot water. If your pet is the cause of your allergy, try to keep it only in certain areas of your home. If that does not work, you may want to think about removing it or having it live outside only.

If removing the allergen doesn't help with your symptoms, there are several types of medications available to manage the symptoms of an indoor allergy, such as antihistamines, decongestants, eye drops and nasal sprays. Be careful when you choose a medicine. The recommended medicine depends on the specific allergy and your medical history, and some medicines may not be safe for everyone. For example, antihistamines could increase the symptoms of patients who have heart diseases.
When to see a doctor
To be sure about the causes of your allergy, the severity of the symptoms or the treatment that may work the best for you, don’t wait to see a professional who will tell you exactly what to do. Ask your doctor for help if the symptoms last for more than three months, if it becomes hard to sleep, work, or function daily. Also ask a doctor for help if your the over the counter medicine you have isn't helping or if you feel short of breath. Such signs signify a serious allergy problem that needs to be treated by a physician.
What to do next
Indoor allergies are very different from one person to another. That’s why there is not a specific treatment. It is very important to identify the cause before trying to get rid of it. The best way is to see a doctor who will tell you exactly what to do. Living in a clean home will help you a lot. When your allergy symptoms have been alleviated, don't forget to maintain a clean home and follow all the advice of your doctor so you aren't affected by allergies again in the future.
  • 4.5/5 rating (2 votes)

Categories: Allergies

Yann Rocher, Amanda Maynes

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.